Monday, July 23, 2007

Homelessness is a racial issue...

Ok, so let me preface this by saying I was a little preppy white kid. If I wanted to, my parents would be able to support me for the rest of my life in luxury. But I do work hard, and I have gotten a pretty solid education. I don't believe that race should ever be used to judge someone, and neither should gender. But, it is interesting how culture and sometimes by that, race has an actual effect on people and their outcomes.

For example, homeless people. You see plenty of white and black people who are homeless and panhandling. But in all my life I have yet to see a SINGLE asian or hispanic homeless person.

I find this extremely interesting. I personally believe there are a couple of factors that play into this observation. First of all, all my hispanic friends have a very extended and close knit family that acts as a safety net for them. But in return they will do anything for anyone in that group. It is a really impressive cultural attribute. Secondly, it is something that seems to be so disgraceful and unacceptable in their culture that when it occurs they will hide in shame before they come forward.

-J

No comments: